From:
Susanne Romey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 08:28:56 -0500

I had a lot of responses, so I won't do any quotes.  I have been having
problems
with rectal inflammation which is probably from eating Fantastic Rice and
Beans
every day for lunch.  Most people said that it is probably from the spices.  I
was wondering if this was a serious problem because I don't want to completely
give up eating the spices.  One other person from SC said that spicy foods
are a
southern thing and he doesn't give them up completely either.  A few people
said
that gluten can cause rectal burning.  I didn't know that so that is also a
possibility.  A couple more people said it could candida or yeast.  That is
also
possible since I still seem to have chronic problems with yeast, but it is
mostly under control now.  The other possility is allergies.  That is also
possible because I had the same problem from eating fish.  Some people said to
stop eating the Fantastic rice and beans to see if it clears up.  I did and
it's
gone, so that solves that.  Another person suggested keeping a food diary
to see
if I can determine what is causing the problem.  My diet is very strict and I
basically eat the same things all the time, so it is easy to tell right away
what is causing me problems.  One person said it is necessary to rotate foods.
I do that somewhat.  One person said that it could be the beans.  Another
person
said the following causes her problems:  acidic foods like tomatoes and
citrus,
peanuts and fritos, and iceberg lettuce.  Another person said I should go
to the
doctor and check for hemorrhoids or fissures.  I'll see my doctor soon.

Some remedies that were mentioned are applying vitamin E oil by breaking up
the
capsules, Rhus tox 30c (homeopathic remedy), and Hydrocortisone Valerate Cream
0.02%.

The other problem I had is that it seems to be a real challenge to find things
to eat unless I want to spend the time cooking for myself all the time.  I
will
probably get to that point, but not yet.  One person got a big laugh from my
topic "Rectal Inflammation and Lunch Ideas."  The pun was not intended!

I am vegetarian and can't have dairy or canola oil, so it is a big
challenge to
find things that I don't have to cook.  I received many lunch suggestions, but
I'm not sure which ones don't have canola oil.  My guess is that most of them
do.  The Progresso Soups, Amys and Thai Kitchen are probably OK.  If anyone
knows if any of the others would be OK, that would be great if I could find
them:

Ethnic Gourmet, The Spice Hunter, Tamarind Tree boxed meals, Foods by George's
in NJ.

Someone sent me an article from the Washington Area CS Support Group - back
school lunches.  The only other ideas I could use are rice cakes and nut
butter.

Some web pages mentoined are:

http://forums.delphi.com/n/main.asp?webtag=celiac&nav=messages
http://www.enabling/org/ia/celiac/index.html
http://www.fastlane.net/homepages/thodge/archive.htm

I'm sorry for not taking to respond to everyone individually.  I hope I
covered
everything.  I really appreciate all the suggestions.  It makes it all seem a
lot easier knowing there are so many of us!  I'm grateful for the ones who
keep
trying to get information about celiac disease out there for other people like
me who would never know why they are suffering!

Susanne

ps.  I forgot to send this last week.  The rectal burning is completely
gone and
I even went back to eating the Fantastic Rice and Beans, so that makes me
think
that it could have been a yeast problem.  But I am also wondering if it was an
allergy or from gluten contamination.