From:
Joel Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:29:15 -0600

Iowa City GF Restaurants, Summary

There is a Lone Star in Coralville which is a sister city to Iowa City.  You
take the exit from 80 that goes to Coral Ridge Mall.  It is further down that
road on the right.  They are very accomodating.  The waiter that we had was
very well versed in celiac disease as he has a friend who has it and was very
attentive to my husband's needs.

Also, there is a place called the Iowa River Power Company I think also in
Coralville which should be able to accomodate.

I travel to IC 4/5 times a year and usually eat at Yin Ching or Long Branch
Steak House on the Corville Strip.  Yin Ching has a cabbage soup that works
and ask for any entre that has a light (in color) sauce.  It's great!  The
Long Branch's steak are cooked on a grill  and their seasonings are GF.  I
usually have a salad and potato.

One of my all time favorite restaurants is in Iowa City--Givanni's at 109 East
College (right down town).  I was just there last month and had another
wonderful, creative, delicious meal with great wine and even a gluten-free
dessert.  It is an Italian restaurant, but if you can overlook the homemade
pasta and the fragrant bread that most around you are enjoying, the menu still
reveals many pleasures. Try it out.  You won't be sorry.

Got a whole list.  How many you want??

Some of these are easy, some are not.  Some are pricey, some are cheap.  You
have to be careful at each of them and make sure that the wait staff
understand your needs.

Charlie's Bar and Grill--unmarinated chicken, hamburgers, salads, seafood,
steamed vegetables. NO FRIES.  Ask them to cook your order in a separate
pan.  Iowa River Power Company is across the street.  See details below.

Chilli's--unmarinated chicken, hamburgers, salads, seafood, steamed
vegetables.  Must specify corn chips and shells.

Malones--hamburger, salads, steamed vegetables, stuffed mushrooms.  Be very
specific with the wait staff.  Tell them it doesn't matter if it takes
longer.

Giavannis--check before going to see if they have GF pasta.  Sometimes they
do have it.  They also have GF salad dressings.

Iowa River Power Company--and unmarinated meats, just ask.  Potato, steamed
vegetables, salad.  If your in a bind, Food for Thought, the health food
store with lots of GF items is across the street.

Jimmy's Brick Oven--unmarinated chicken, hamburgers, salads,steamed
vegetables.  Have them clean the grill, use a separate pan or grill on a
piece of aluminum foil.

Lone Star Steakhouse--unmarinated meats, salads, steamed vegetables, baked
potatoes, pork chops.  Have them clean the grill or use a piece of aluminum
foil (or both).  The sour cream is OK, but check the butter.  The one in
Iowa City said it was butter, the Lone Star in Cedar Rapids uses a
butter/margarine blend.  Had good luck here.

Mickey's--hamburger or roast beef sandwich with NO au jus.  Fries are GF.

TGI Fridays--unmarinated chicken, hamburger, steamed shrimp, salads with no
croutons (be specific about this).

Wing & Pen--Have them cook meat on foil (a must).  Hamburger or bacon, no
fries, just salads.  Owners wife is a Celiac.

Outback Steakhouse (In Cedar Rapids)--