Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 21:56:20 -0700

I would like to make a comment on poliovaccines.
As most people know, there are two types of poliovaccines, the Sabin
and the Salk vaccine. Sabin consists of life attenuated strains, Salk
of inactivated virulent strains. Both vaccines are excellent.
However it was found that in third world countries the Sabin vaccine
sometimes does not work despite intact cooling chains etc. In
developped countries, Sabin 'always' works. The reasons for the
vaccine failure in third world countries are not clear, and include
infection with too many different enteroviruses (poliov belongs to
that family), malnutrition (reduces immune response) and damaged
GI tract.
Sabin vaccine starts working already in the throat (when I remember
correctely),so it might still work despite problems in the gut.
Nevertheless, I would try to have the antibody titer checked if the
baby has sever GI problems, to determine whether the titer is high
enough to protect the child from poliomyelitis. This is my opinion
of course, but in the case of polio _I_ would not want to be sorry
later...

Marianne