From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:45:59 -0500

Ten days ago, I asked the list for help on discussing a possible diagnosis
of subclinical hypothyroidism with my doctor.  I posted an extensive summary
(5 parts!!) to the list a day or two later.  I took the advice summarized in
the post.
-- Testing:  I already had a TSH level of 3.9, I called my doc and requested
additional bloodwork for thyroid autoantibodies.  In particular for
Thyroperoxidase Ab which is assoicated with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism.
-- I brought documentation with me, 2 about new guidelines for the treatment
of hypothyroidism when the TSH level is over 2.5 or 3.  I also brought a
summary of research concluding that treatment of hypothyroidism might
benefit patients with high-normal levels of TSH, high levels of
Thyroperoxidase Ab, and elevated cholesterol levels.  Links for these three
were:
www.aace.com/pub/tam2003/press.php
www.thyroidpower.com/newguidelinesfr.html
http://www.eje.org/eje/138/eje1380141.htm
-- I spoke to her about my history of fatigue associated with CD, my most
recent bout of extreme fatigue, and the importance of relieving the fatigue
so that I had the opportunity to succeed at my new job.
-- As we spoke, the results of the Thyroperoxidase Ab test arrived at her
office.  The normal range for that test is below 40.  My levels are 276!  In
addition, my cholesterol levels have increased.

She had heard of the new guidelines, although we did discuss that the
guidelines weren't based on research.  She thought I probably did have
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism and prescribed 50 mg of Synthroid, which I will
begin taking tomorrow.  We discussed side effects that are indicative of
hyperthyroidism so that I can watch out for those (heart palpitations,
anxiety, diarrhea, and weight loss).  I will have my TSH and cholesterol
levels retested in 8 weeks.  She also said that if treatment didn't relieve
my fatigue, that she had a "few other tricks up her sleeve."

I want to thank all of you for your help on this issue and I am very hopeful
that this treatment will have a big positive impact on my life.

Dawn