From:
Emily Low <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Emily Low <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:06:37 -0500

Hi,

Most who have written back about altitude and celiac had never thought about
the connection before, but found it interesting that I brought it up since
they were folks who started out living at sea level and then moved higher
and developed worse symptoms. One person wrote that her mom ends up in the
hospital when at high altitudes, and one thought that it was just stress
that made things worse when moving higher, another blamed it on relatives
trying to cook food their best, but not knowing how.

Only one person wrote back suggesting that there was something about the
diet or bacteria that would make the difference.

After searching these archives and finding a person who posted a similar
question back in 1995, and doing reaserch on high altitude and digestion, I
am pretty convinced that altitude makes a difference - at least for me.
Digestion is definitely impeded at high altitude.  People without digestive
disorders many times develop gas to foods that they never had problems with
before such as garlic. This is partially because of the pressure difference
- the gas we normally produce expands at altitude.

I starting thinking back on my life - as an athelete, I always competed well
when in low altitudes and had a much harder time at higher altitudes.  I was
OK when going to college in Boston, Seattle, and Anchorage, but had to leave
school because I couldnt eat anything when I was in school in the mountains.
I attributed it to stress.

I lived in Colombia (6,000 ft.) for 2 years during which I got sicker and
sicker, but had the hardest time when I was here, on vacation in Quito
(almost 10,000 ft.). After moving to Quito, we quickly changed houses,
moving into the valley below the city, where I just "felt" better and now I
live at almost 8,000 ft. and work at almost 10,000 ft.

The last two Christmases I have visited San Antonio, Texas, and been able to
eat much more, with many less symptoms.  As soon as I return home to Quito,
I am again plagued with a big belly, burping for hours on end, the runs, and
general difficulties related to digestion.  Last year I thought it was a
fluke - this year I can't dismiss it.

We have made the desicion to move back to sea level, and my husband likens
it to a person with asthma living in a smogy city - it just makes sense to
leave.

I am very excited that maybe I will be able to control my disease instead of
my disease controlling me, and I wonder how many other "sensitive" celiacs
also live at high altitudes.

I hope that someone researchs this in the future, so that we can know if it
is an individual thing like altitude sickness, or a more universal
difficulty.

Thanks for all of your help.

Emily Low