From:
Alon Ben-Yehuda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 09:29:33 +0300

Pakora Vegetables (Indian-style batter-fried vegetables)

Mix together:
1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Whisk in about half of 1 1/2 cups water
whisk steadily as you add the rest of the water.
That's the batter.  In this batter, dip random vegetables that look good
(broccoli florets, cauliflour, slices of pepper, carrot slices, mushroom
caps, apple, bananna etc. etc.)   No, she gives no hint as to how many
vegetables the batter coats. OTTH, extra cut vegetables are always
useful.

Fry the dipped vegetables in deep oil at 325-250 degrees farenheit until
they are brown and puffy and float.  You can keep them warm in a 300
degree farenheit oven in a single layer.

Serve over rice with chutney and raita (a yogurt sauce).

We use soy flour in making fritters of any sort (corn etc) and it gives a
good result.

I use the following flour mix as a substitute flour mix for all recipes
calling for wheat flour:

   1 cup chick-pea flour
   1 cup tapioca flour
   One-half cup corn starch
   1 cup white rice flour (fine ground)
   (Also I add 3 t. Xanthum gum for most cake recipes and bread recipes)

Chick-Pea & Rice Bread

Wet Ingredients:
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1-1/3 cups hot water
One fourth  tsp. gluten-free maple flavoring extract or almond extract
(optional)

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup Chick-pea flour (also called garbanzo bean flour)
1 cup brown or white rice flou
One-half  cup tapioca flour
One-half cup cornstarch
4 tsp. Xanthan Gum
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 and one-half tsp. salt
1 Tbst. egg replacer (optional)
One-half  cup dry milk
2 and one-fourth  tsp. active dry yeast

General Directions:
Combine wet ingredients; pour carefully into baking pan.

Measure dry ingredients; mix well to blend.  Add to baking pan.
Carefully seat pan in breadmaker.

Select NORMAL/WHITE cycle; START machine.  After mixing action begins,
help any unmixed ingredients into the dough with a rubber spatula, keeping
to edges and top of batter to prevent interference with the paddle.
remove pan from the machine when bake cycle is complete.  Invert pan and
shake gently to remove bread.  COOL upright on a rack before slicing or
storing in airtight container.

(P.S.  I added the yeast to the hot tap water and allowed to set for a few
minutes before combining with the remaining wet ingredients.)

I try to use 1-2 tablespoons of chickpea (or other bean flour) for each
cup of rice flour I use.

I use chickpea flour in my gluten free flour mix to make for a richer
flavored product.  I haven't been making bread, but it is nice in the
cookies and pancakes and waffles I make.

http://www.authenticfoods.com/

http://www.cook-books.com/