Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 16:24:02 -0400

I got several emails asking me to post what restaurants were helpful and "safe" (insofar as I could ascertain) during my recent California trip.

In San Francisco:
-Francesca's (near the Fisherman's Wharf)--Great food, helpful staff, relaxed atmosphere, impressive view of the bay, Alcatraz, and the Golden Gate bridge.
-Morton's (downtown)--Pricey steakhouse, but a very classy place with relatively simple cuisine.
-Joe's Crab Shack (Fisherman's Wharf)--This is a chain, but I've eaten at these for a number of years without any problems.  Great seafood, but I don't recommend the corn on the cob...

In Santa Cruz:
-Walnut Cafe (downtown)--A popular lunch place that seems to always be bustling!  I did okay with the omlettes here.

I will also add that the Hiltons that we stayed at all had microwaves and small refrigerators, so they were great for storing a little milk for morning cereal, or for re-heating leftovers from the night before.

Other listmembers also recommended the following places:
-Cafe Marimaba (Chestnut St., the Marina)--Oaxacan (regional Mexican) food.  The guacamole and Agua Frescas were highly recommended.
-McCormick and Kuleto's (Fisherman's Wharf)--Reported to have great seafood.
-Ana Mandera (Ghiradelli Square)--Fancy Vietnamese place with rice noodles/rice dishes.  Said to be a bit pricey but worth it.
-Sabella's (Min-West Portal District)--Known for its seafood.  Talk to Mike Sabella, the chef, as he is familiar with the GF diet and very helpful.

Happy eating!
Jessica
Madison, WI