From:
Diane Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:56:30 -0700

My sister missed Costco hotdogs so much that she tracked down the
supplier and here is their response.  They are gluten free!  I had one -
tough to eat without a bun to hold it (very hot) but, boy, was it good
with onions and mustard.

Diane Holmes

August 3, 1999

Kay McGary [log in to unmask]

Seattle, Washington

Dear Mrs. McGary::

This letter addresses the concern you expressed as to whether the
products made by Best Kosher Foods Corporation contain gluten. Please
note that the listed products do not contain gluten or wheat, barley,
rye, oats, and millet (cereal grains that commonly contain gluten). Best
Kosher Foods Corporation packages these products under the brand names
of Best's Kosher, Sinai Kosher, Shofar Kosher and Wilno Kosher.

Best's Kosher

      Beef Frankfurters
     Mild Beef Frankfurters

      Beef Dinner Franks
     Reduced Fat and Sodium Beef Franks

      Beef Knockwurst
     Lower Fat Beef Frankfurters

      Beef Deli Frankfurters
     Lower Fat Beef Knocks

      Beef Polish Sausage
     Lower Fat Beef Bologna

      Beef Hot Polish Sausage
     Lower Fat Beef Salami

      Beef Bologna
     Lower Sodium Beef Salami

      Beef Salami
     97% Fat Free Beef Frankfurters

      Beef Salami Sticks
     97% Fat Free Beef Salami

      Beef Summer Sausage
     97% Fat Free Beef Bologna

      Beef Thuringer Sausage
     Beef Cocktail Franks

      Cooked Corned Beef
     Smoked Beef Cocktail Sausage

      Beef Frye
     Beef Liverwurst

      Chopped Liver with Eggs and Onions

Sinai Kosher

      Beef Frankfurters
     Beef Dinner Franks

      Beef Deli Frankfurters
     Beef Knockwurst

      Beef Polish Sausage
     Beef Bologna

      Beef Salami
     Lower Fat Beef Franks

      Cooked Corned Beef

Wilno Kosher

      Beef Bologna
     Beef Salami

Shofar Kosher

      Beef Frankfurters
     Beef Knockwurst

      Beef Hot Franks
     Lower Salt & Lower Fat Beef Franks

      Beef Cocktail Franks
     Beef Bologna

      Beef Salami
     Beef Polish Sausage

      Cooked Corned Beef
      (Contains Modified Potato Starch)

      97% Fat Free Salami
     97% Fat Free Bologna

The Federal Department of Agriculture (FDA) has stated that they
acknowledge the desire of individuals to know what products contain
gluten. Therefore, the FDA requires source declaration in the common or
usual name of all protein hydrolysates in the ingredient listings. This
would include those protein hydrolysates made from sources that may
contain gluten. For example, if a product contains hydrolyzed wheat
protein, the ingredient listing must show hydrolyzed wheat protein. The
reason for this is that the source is essential to describe the basic
nature of the ingredient. The FDA believes that this requirement will
assist consumers who wish to avoid gluten.

Based on the response we have received from our spice suppliers,
typically gluten will be present in Hydrolyzed Proteins that are
processed from corn or wheat also, combination proteins such as
"Hydrolyzed Soy Corn Protein" will have gluten present. Hydrolyzed Soy
or Soya Proteins will not contain any natural gluten.

We use ground mustard in our products, not processed mustard that could
possibly contain vinegar. We are pleased to report that based on our
research, the ground mustard used in our product is gluten free. We are
able to trace origin back to the grower and verify that the mustard is
not grown next to wheat, rye, barley or oats. As additional information
becomes available we will attempt to update the customers who have
expressed concern.

I hope this information helps you to make the right purchases for you.
As always the best suggestion is to read the ingredient statements very
carefully. We hope that you continue to enjoy Best Kosher Foods quality
kosher products without any further concerns.

We welcome any other questions or comments and should that occur you may
contact me at 1-800-823-7746 then enter "3" for the Manufacturing
facility and ext. # 6343.

Sincerely,  Lynn Trindal, Label Coordinator, Best Kosher Foods
Corporation, 1000 West Pershing Road, Chicago, IL. 60609