From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 08:35:33 -0600

 It seems to me there are a
>lot of people out there starving themselves to death because of a lack of
>knowledge of basic chemistry. The GF diet is limited enough. Wouldn't it be
>nice if someone could teach people with CD what all those chemicals on food
>labels really mean.

For knowledge on basic additives allowed I use my pocket dictionary from the
Canadian Celiac Association as I am a programmer not a chemist.  Also just
off the cuff as the Canadian Celiac Association allows all vinegars even
malt vinegar maybe all those people looking for vinegar for their diet
should move to Canada and then they could buy it and consume it anywhere.
I've said it before and I'll say it again that vinegar is not a problem in
our household with 2 biopsy proven celiacs and I will not stop letting my 3
yr old have his GF hotdog and Heinz ketchup just because it has vinegar in
it.  As a nurse here pointed out there are sensitivities, allergies and then
our CD.  Some people may be sensitive to products, others may be allergic
and then others may have celiac disease, the moral of the story is those
people reacting to vinegar may be sensitive to it, maybe allergic to it (or
any additives in it) and not necessarily reacting due to their celiac
condition.

Now with that said I will not enter into another debate on the vinegar
condition since it has been beaten to death on the list.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada