From:
Laura Johnson-Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 11:37:26 -0500

Contrary to what the manufacturer, Hunt-Wesson, says about La Choy, the HVP
in it is listed as coming from soy on recently purchased bottles, rather
than from a gluten grain.

The ingredients for regular La Choy soy sauce are:
water, salt, hydrolylzed soy protein, corn syrup, caramel color, potassium
sorbate

The ingredients for La Choy lite soy sauce are:
water, hydrolyzed soy protein, corn syrup, salt, caramel color, lactic acid,
potassium sorbate

As far as I can see, the only questionable ingredient in either of these
sauces is the caramel color.  Now it's confession time: I've been using La
Choy soy sauce all my life with no noticeable symptoms, and I am fairly
sensitive to gluten in foods (I don't however, react to distilled products
like grain alcohols found in vanilla extract, etc. or vinegar in pickles,
salad dressings, etc.).  If the manufacturer's booklet specifically targeted
HVP in these products as being questionable, but asserts the gf status of
its caramel color, then this product may well be gluten-free, and the
booklet may be out of date (ie predate full disclosure laws).

Before people comment any more on symptoms not being indicative of
intestinal damage, let me add my rationale for assuming La Choy is safe *for
me*.  In January I went on a gluten challenge, where I ate one bagel every 4
to five days, for about a month.  I made myself sick as a dog, and it took
months to recover my usual well-being, and yet my blood tests all came back
"negative" (doctor wouldn't disclose the numbers).  Thus, I assume that any
level of gluten too low to cause noticeable symptoms *in me* is safe *for
me* to eat.

I am posting this as La Choy is nationally distributed in the USA and would
be easier to obtain for many people than the specialty/health food store
brands.  Some of you may wish to try it.  I use it because my favorite sweet
and sour chicken recipe uses large quantities of soy sauce, and it never
tastes "right" using other brands.  Of course everyone needs to make up
their own minds about whether to try new products--this is just my 2 cents
worth.

Laura
Ithaca, NY, USA