From:
Steven Blumberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 20:30:04 EDT

Thank you to all who responded to my request for information on Disney
(please note the information I requested was for DisneyWORLD).  The consensus
on dining at Disney is that they are very accomodating to those with Celiac.
The following is a summary of our responses.

Ask for a refrigerator for your room for medical purposes.

Bring your own ketchup.

There are two health food stores located in Orlando - Clementines at 4960
Colonial Drive and Whole Foods.

Plan ahead of time where you are going to eat even 1-2 months ahead of time
make reservations for priority seating (407) wdw-dine and tell them to write
Celiac, gluten free on the reservation.  Call again the day before to confirm
reservation and to talk to the chef .

Stick to the  Disney restaurants.  I believe the following are the names and
numbers of the head chefs at each park.  Magic Kingdom-Rolf Griswold (407)
824-5993, MGM Michael LaDuke (407) 560-4359, epcot-Michael Pythaud (407)
560-2082 (some people spoke to them as well as the chef's at the individual
restaurants).

The hotels that people mentioned they stayed at with positive results were
the Grand Floridian, the Polynesian (2) and Dixie Landing.

You can bring small snacks (some people packed gluten-free sandwiches) into
the parks and just tell the gatepeople that you are on a gluten free diet.
There are microwaves in the baby changing areas.

I have compiled a list of 15!!! restaurants that people wrote to us
accomodated the gluten free diet, Biergarten, Coral  Reef and England in
Epcot, Cinderella's Castle, Liberty Tree Tavern, Crystal Palace and Tony's
Town Tavern in the Magic Kingdom, Brown  Derby at MGM, The Flying Fish and
ESPN club on the Boardwalk, House of Blues at Downtown Disney, Chef Mickeys
at the Contemporary, 1900 Park  Fare, Narcosees and Grand Floridian Cafe in
the Grand Floridian.  Another family had a good experience at the All Star
movie food court.

I hope this information is as helpful to those of you who asked me to
summarize as it was to me.  I will try  to remember to post any additional
information after we return in June if I forget, please feel free to e-mail
me with any questions.  Thanks again to all who responded.  Randi