From:
Anthony Shick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Shick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:09:53 +0800

Thanks to everyone who sent recipes after my request for gingerbread
cookies.  Here is a summary of what I received.

GINGER COOKIES

21/4 c rice flour           1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp. soda                 3/4 c. shortening
1/4 tsp salt                1 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp cloves              1 egg
1 tsp ginger                1/4 c. molasses

Sift together dry ingredients except sugar. Cream shortening
with brown sugar, add egg, and molasses.  Add dry
ingredients and mix.  Chill dough in refrigerator for 30
minutes.  Roll into small balls, dip the top in white sugar,
flatten with fork on greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375F
about 8 to 10 minutes.
_______________
         Gingerbread Muffins

Sift together and mix well:

3/4 cup soy flour                        1/2 t cinnamon
3/4 cup potato starch                 1/2 t ginger
1 t baking soda

Beat in mixing bowl:

1/4 cup sugar                           1/4 cup melted  or soft
margarine
1/2 cup molasses                      1 well beaten egg

Add sifted dry ingredients.  Stir and add 1/4 cup hot water.  Then mix
well.  Pour into well-greased muffin tins.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 350
degrees.  Makes a light, old-fashioned gingerbread.

Recipe came from same book as gingerbread recipe.  Also have not tried
this, but sounds wonderful.
____________________________
Found a gingerbread recipe for you!!!!

1 1/2 cups rice flour                    1 1/2 t ginger
2 T potato flour                          1/2 Cup butter or oleo
1 T rice bran                              1 egg, beaten
1 t salt                                     1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 t baking soda                    1 cup molasses
1 t cinnamon                             1/2 to 3/4 cups very hot water

Sift together flours, rice bran, salt, soda, cinnamon and ginger.  Cream
together shortening, sugar and egg.  Beat well.  Then add molasses.
Alternately add dry mixture and hot water to creamed mixture.  First add
1/3 flour mixture, then add 1/3 water, then more flour, then more water,
etc. until everything is mixed smoothly.  Pour into greased and floured
8x8x2 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.  Serves 8.

This recipe is in one of my celiac cookbooks.  I have never tried it,
but now that you have brought it to my attention,  I will make it.

My all-time favorite and most successful baking is based on Carol
Fenster's
Special Diet Solutions.  Her gingerbread recipe is out of this world, as
are
the ginger snaps.  The fake graham cracker recipe would make sensational
gingerbread houses.  I don't bake conventional sugar cookies, so I can't
attest to those.  Incidentally, I use sorghum instead of rice flour, as
don't like rice flour.  I get it from Twin Valley Mills (they have a
website) as they process only sorghum and it is uncontaminated.  I mix
it 7
parts to 1 with arrowroot.  The taste is great and so is the texture.
____________________________________

Gluten Free Pantry has great gingerbread and spice cake mix. The
directions will tell you to add sorghum for the gingerbread. It takes
like the real thing. The texture is even light and fluffy.
_________________________________
Our favorite recipe is Rebecca Reilly's Graham Crackers from her
"Gluten-Free Baking" book (2002). I usually make a double batch, and
have
used butter flavor Crisco for the butter as we are dairy-free.
We use it for graham crackers for smores, crumble crust for pies, and
cut
out cookies for xmas. They kind of have a gingerbread taste to them. I
have
also baked them in the bottom of a 9x13, cooled, spread with Pamela's
brownie mix, baked as directed, and then covered with mini marshmallows
and
choc. chips and put under the broiler for a minute for a great (rich)
s'mores brownie!

Graham Crackers    325 degrees          12-15 minutes

1 cup GF flour mix-we use Bette Hagman's
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup soy or quinoa flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
7 tbsp chilled butter-cut into pieces
1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
3 to 4 tbsp cold water
1tsp baking powder
3 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla

mix together flours, brown sugar, cinnamon, powder, soda, xanthan gum,
and
salt.  Using your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients.
Stir in
3 tbsp water, honey and vanilla. If dry add a bit more water (1tsp at a
time). Gather into a soft ball and refrigerate at least one hour (I
usually
leave it overnight, covered). Roll to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick (I use
parchment
paper), cut into squares, prick lightly with fork and sprinkle with
cinnamon
sugar before baking. (I skip the last step if we are going to frost
them)

__________________________________
The Gluten Free Panty's Spice Cake mix can be used to make gingerbread
cookies and the White Cake and Cookie mix can be used to make sugar
cookies.  Recipes for both are in the recipe books for those mixes that
are available on the GF Pantry's website.  They both taste great!  My
personal tip is to roll the dough out on baking parchment, cut them,
remove the "scraps" and then slide the baking parchment onto your cookie
sheet.  That way you don't have transfer the cookies individually to the
cookie sheet and they don't tear!
______________________________________

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

1/2 CUP MARGARINE           1 EGG
1/2 CUP PEANUT BUTTER       1 TSP BAKING SODA
1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR         1 TBSP HOT WATER
1/2 CUP GRANULATED SUGAR    1 1/2 CUP SIFTED RICE FLOUR
1 TSP VANILLA

Cream margarine and add sugars gradually and beat until
light.  Beat in unbeaten egg.  Add peanut butter. Mix soda
with hot water and cooling slightly while adding most of
flour.  Mix in liquid and vanilla and add balance of flour.
Chill dough overnight.  Roll into small balls and place on
slightly greased cookie sheet.  Dip fork in rice flour and
cris cross the top of cookies as flattening down cookies.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
______________________________

I don't know if you had your heart set on making them from scratch or
not but GF Pantry Gingerbread mix makes good gingerbread men.  I think
the recipe is out on the website and probably on the bag too.
 ___________________________
go to  www.celiac.com  click through to recipes and then cookies.
I have made both the sugar cookies and the 2nd gingerbread cookies. be
sure to put dough between plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour
before trying to cut. after out of oven, keep on sheet a minute or 2
before trying to take off.
you can decorate with Duncan Hines frosting. my kids love them
____________________________________________________________--

I follow the recipe in the Gluten Free Kitchen-by Roben Ryberg.  It's
delicious and the dough is easy to use.
__________________________________
We have authored "125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes" (Robert Rose Inc.) May
2003
distributed by Firefly Books. We have included several easy to make
recipes
for cookies which are our holiday favorites. Hazelnut Apricot Bars,
Butter
Tart Bars, Shortbread and Mini Thumb-prints.
Tasty and innovative recipes include baked goods, pasta dishes,
appetizers
and family meals as well as mouth-watering desserts. Yeast bread recipes
for
the bread machine and mixer. Recipes everyone can enjoy.  Lots of
practical
hints and tips!