From:
John Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:49:21 -0500

>Does anyone know if there is any work being done for an overall cure to
>coeliacs disease

There are some people who claim that if you observe a gluten-free diet long
enough (many years), eventually the gut will "reset" itself and be able to
digest wheat again.  I don't believe it.  And I would be skeptical of any
drug-based or surgical treatment, which could mess up the gut even worse.

On another level, the cure exists...just don't eat anything made with wheat,
barley, rye, kamut, spelt, etc.  Yes, it's inconvenient.  But compared with
the amount of surgery, drugs, ionizing radiation, potions, lotions,
ointments, worry, risk, pain, and cash that go into the "cure" for other
diseases, it's really not so bad.   In fact, I'd trade a Big Mac for a plate
of rissoto anytime.

John Shaw <[log in to unmask]> Milwaukee Wisconsin USA