From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2008 14:09:34 -0400

I got a few suggestions and a recipe that you might appreciate, as a result of my post on why, when I make Chebe bread (the dairy-free, onion & garlic mix) for breadsticks, they come out hard as rocks....while the pigs in the blankets came out delicious (only on the same day...hardened when reheated as leftovers).  Here are the responses. Thank you all...... Lin

---To make "fluffier" breadsticks, you can add some rice flour and baking powder, and maybe an egg or two.

---Turn down the temperature by 25-50 degrees and bake for less time. I do not use a mix when I bake but I bake rolls, bread sticks, etc this way.

---Thanks for the tip about, excuse the expression "pigs in a blanket". I think I'll try it.
Apparently the moisture from the hots keeps the wrapper dough moist and chewy. Perhaps wrapping the bread-sticks in aluminum wrap might work.

---I wouldn't think kneading would add anything to these---just enough to mix them well.  Try making them a bit thicker and don't bake too long---- maybe adding a little baking powder if all else fails.  I'm no expert but have been baking for 50 years and it seems like these things might help.

---I use the regular mix and when they are that hard you are overcooking. Either use a double insulated cookie sheet or lower the temperature and cook for less time. With this it is sort of like cooking in a microwave less time and then check. You can always put it back in to cook more. I have a convection oven and cook for 15 minutes at 350.

---I've found my results vary depending on the weather - is it dry or humid, just rained etc. This is especially so with pan de quiejo or chebe. If the mix feels dry, add a little more water. When I lived in Phoenix, I had to add considerably more water.

---Brazilian Cheese Rolls - Pao de Queijo (similar to Chebe bread)

This recipe is adapted from www.cookbrazil.com

1 pound tapioca flour

½ pound potatoes cooked, mashed and cooled

1 Tablespoon butter

¼ cup canola oil

2 eggs

½ teaspoon

1 ¾ cups grated parmesan cheese or any grated cheese of choice.

1cup milk

Preheat oven to 350° F

Mix all ingredients except milk.  Add milk as needed to make a soft dough.

Roll about 25 1" balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Bake 18 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Or flatten and serve with hand food.  It makes a great pizza dough when pressed flat on a pizza pan or stone.

*******
*******