From:
Barb Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:58:22 -0700

I consulted my mom's old nursing dictionary for blepharitis,  "Taber's
Condensed Medical Dictionary"  Copyright 1943, and was surprised to find the
following:

"Inflammation of the edges of the eyelids involving hair follicles and
glands opening on surface;  ulcerative and nonulcerative.  [Nursing
Procedure]: Bathe lids with borax and warm water to remove crusts.  Ointment
to edges.  Good food, cod-liver oil."

The surprise came from the recommendation to consider a nutritional aspect
to this condition.   Want to bet it is no longer in the dictionaries of
today?

The day after I wrote the above note, I checked the definition in the 2001
edition of Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary.  The definition was
similar but included quite a bit more detail.   Lots of info on how to band
aide the condition but no info on the remedy.  Funny that in a half century
we should "lose" the information that doesn't need pharmaceuticals for a
cure.

Barb

Pt. Angeles, WA