From:
Karen Shirley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:04:18 +0000
I think perhaps there are folks on here more knowledgeable than I and thought you could help - I will summarize as well as do a blog posting about it.

I am interested in why there are so many different labeling types for when a product is made in the same facility as wheat or other gluten containing grains.  I understand what it means when it states processed on the same equipment as wheat (seems self explanatory) and processed in a facility that also processes wheat (same plant different equipment) but recently came across Crispy Cat organic candy bars.

They are labeled gluten free dairy free but then also state may contain trace amounts of peanuts, wheat and dairy.   When I inquired from into it with the company (NuGo) they indicated they batch test all the Crispy Cat bars to less than 10 ppm of gluten but are required to put that label on because the allergens are also used at the plant.

So my question is how can some companies say also manufactured in and others say may contain trace amounts? And is the consensus like our family where we will try something that states same plant but generally avoid things that are on shared equipment or contain trace amounts?

Thanks for any help!

Karen

Colorado

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T