From:
"Beth J. Hillson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:09:28 -0500

Thanks to all of you who responded to my posting.  I am relieved to learn
that none of you have ever heard of a problem with mushrooms.  I promised
several people that I would share the information.  Here are some of your
comments.

*****

The concensus is that mushrooms are not a problem.  This person believed
that he cannot have any mushrooms because of celiac disease.   Yikes.  What
will they think of next!

*****

false....nothing in mushrooms that will bother celiacs....they will,
however,
bother people with yeast sensitivities

*****

Might have been in context of a yeast  allergy, concurrent with celiac.  I
wonder if it was a speaker or someone he met there.

Mushrooms are also grown on straw (w/ manure) from horse stables. It is
sterilized to  kill any other organisms before mushroom spores are added.
Straw (from wheat, barley or oats) would not introduce gluten.

******

I'm with you - never heard, don't believe it.  Possibly she meant that she
also couldn't have yeast??  Or marinated mushrooms?  I wouldn't want to tell
you how many things I have had this week with mushrooms!  EnerG also sells
GF mushroom soup.  Is there anyway to find out where she heard this & find
out what was said?? Or why??

********

I have a guess.  Mushrooms are packed with citric acid.  Most mushrooms are
not canned in the United States.  "Someone" (read "celiac authority") has
said that citric acid made outside the United States "may not be"
gluten-free.  Hence and urban legend is born.  I enjoy mushrooms processed
anywhere and do not react, and I am a gluten reactor.

Beth Hillson
Gluten-Free Pantry
800-291-8386 ext. 101
www.glutenfree.com