Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 18:43:52 -0500

Some people noted there is an increase in chapped lips but mixed reviews on if
there is a gluten/celiac connection:

“ my 2 celiac children do get chapped lips, unlike my third who does
not have celiac”

I just know my upper lip is not just chapped, but cracking and peeling I have tried every kind of chap stick and
found one with teetree in it..........does the best. but........it is not weather-related.

 Definitely used to happen with my kids when they got contaminated.

 Before I went gluten free my skin was very, very dry and cracked. Not just my lips, but my hands, neck and
forehead. Now that I'm gluten-free I don't have chapped lips anymore. My neck and forehead are scaly
anymore either. My hands still get dry in the winter though.

 YES...horrible to the point of distraction. I was told I had cold weather eczema
and given a steroid cream which was basically useless. My suspicion is that this
is celiac related as other dry skin issues are much better since gluten free.
It was nightmarish,  which sounds ridiculous when talking about chapped lips.
Makes sense when you think of how deprived you are of nutrients. The skin and
hair take a second seat to other vital organs when there's a lack of nourishment.

 Recommendations:

I didn't have chapped lips but did have a problem with chap sticks.  About 5-10

minutes after putting chap stick on (or lipstick) my lips would peal.  I've

talked to other celiacs who have the same problem.  The only chapstick I've

found that I can use is Aveda.  I went to an Aveda store.  They let me try the

chap stick and then go shopping for a half hour to see if it would be okay.  I

went back and bought several sticks.

One possibility is the loss of fluid causing dehydration.

Chapped lips are a sign of a vitamin B deficiency.  Vitamin B deficiency is a
common result of malnutrition caused by celiac disease.  I recommend taking
vitamin B complex shots periodically or using sublingal vitamin B complex daily.
I have this problem and saw it improve using sublingal vitamin B daily.

I believe it's a riboflavin deficiency. My kids had horrible chapped lips pre-gf, and if they get glutenized, they get the chapped lips back and my son gets a crach in the center of his lower lip that takes at least a month to heal. Prior to dx, my daughter had a cracked lip for 8 months and my son had a cracked toenail (nail bed to tip) which also opens up w/ gluten exposure.

*******
*******