From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 16:27:53 -0700

Dear Listmates:
Following is a brief summary of responses to my post about becoming ill after a glucose tolerance test:

One suggested that the glucose might be wheat based; another said that caramel was used to color and flavor the liquid; others reported bad reactions to substances used for testing (among them, "an IV injection
of artificial ACTH (a normal content in blood) and a small amount of Mannitol (supports blood volume)", and barium which the patient insisted on being unflavored to avoid illness). One person had checked out the ingredients to the glucose syrup (same manufacturer or not I do not know) and found them to be gluten free, yet had a reaction anyway, evidently to the glucose itself.

A couple of people noted my self-castigation that "I should have known ..." in advance of taking the test.  It's enough to have to deal with the physical reaction; no need to compound it with self-blame.  But I think a lot of us probably do have problems of self-esteem in connection with gluten reactions, especially when the problems date from early childhood and were the cause of a lot of bad vibes coming from family and others, including MD's.

Nancy in nyc