From:
Dorian Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:46:09 -0500

So basically there are several recipes for Hamentaschen.  Hopefully this
weekend I will get to try at least one of them!!!  I have also listed
some general advice and stuff.  May you all have a Hag Sameach!

Dori in NJ

Apparently this item comes up every year and additional recipes may be
found in the archives.  There is also a site exclusively for hamenstashen
recipes.  THESE RECIPES ARE NOT GLUTEN-FREE, but experimentation with GF
flours may transform one of these forbidden recipes into a GF classic.
The site may be found at:
   http://www.eskimo.com/~jefffree/recipes/hamindex.htm
Just remember that if you use a GF flour mix as a substitute for regular
flour in these recipes, you may wish to add 1 tsp Xanthan gum for each
cup of flour to give the dough texture & "play"

For fillings, consult a Jewish cookbook---many filling recipes are
already GF or easily made so.  Fruit preserves work as a filling and save
any cooking at all.

"Cake" recipes adapt to GF flours more readily than "Raised" recipes,
says one respondent.

AND HERE ARE THE RECIPES
This recipe originally came from Chabad:

1 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup shortening
3 eggs
1/2 cup orange juice (adds great flavor)
4 cups flour   (I use Hagman mix except for I use brown rice flour)
3 tsps. baking powder  (I always add extra to recipe amount when
   baking gf, usually another 1/2-1 tsp.)
1 tsp. salt
1-2 tsp xanthan gum  (I use the least amount, others use alot more)
1 egg, beaten
filling, may be homemade mohn or can use jam or apricot or chocolate
   chips, even peanut butter

Cream sugar, oil and shortening.  Add eggs and juice and mix well.
Blend all dry ingredients and mix with wet ingredients until well
mixed.  Form small balls and flatten in palm or on cookie sheet, put a
small dab of desired filling and fold up sides to form the shape of a
triangle. Brush each cookie with beaten egg dough before baking.  Bake
at 350 degrees for approx 20 minutes.  If too crumbly add a  bit more
gum next time.  Makes approx 4 dozen hamentaschen.

I would add too that I use lots of "wheat" recipes for gf baking, I
usually add a  bit of xanthan gum and see what happens.  Don't be
afraid
to try old favorites with the gf baking mixes. Bean flour( bean,
arrowroot & tapioca flours) mix also makes great baked goods and is
grain free.

This recipe comes from Ellen Switkes and has no xanthan gum: Thanks
Ellen!

4 eggs
1 cup oil
pinch salt
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 t. baking powder
4 1/2 cups gf flour  or more

Mix all in food processor.  Add more flour is not stiff enough.  Can
cool dough if you wish.  Pinch walnut sized balls , roll and place on
greased cookie sheet.  Not too thin.  Add a dab of filling in center and
roll up and pinch together sides to form triangle shape.  They tend to
spread if dough is not stiff enough.  You can also just make a
depression in middle of ball and fill with jelly to make a thumbprint
cookie. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

Ellen says that the original recipe called for 2 tsp. xanthan gum but
that she omits it with no problem and seldom uses it in her baking.
Good luck with your baking and check the archives for recipes posted
last year, there was one using ground macadamia nuts in the dough and
I'm sure they were great!>>

Here's a GF hamantaschen recipe from our cookbook.  Happy Purim!

Beth Hillson
Gluten-Free Pantry

Hamantaschen
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups shortening
2 eggs
6 Tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups Gluten-Free Pantry French Bread & Pizza Mix or other Gluten-Free
Pantry baking mix with xanthan gum added
1 cup favorite flavor of jam or prune butter

1)  Cream together the sugar and shortening.  Add eggs
     and beat until smooth.

2)  Stir in water and vanilla.  Add French Bread Mix and
     mix until dough forms a ball.  Chill for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

3)  Use a rolling pin to roll dough to about 1/4-inch thick-
     ness.  Turn a glass upside down or use a 2-3-inch bis-
     cuit cutter and cut dough into circles.

4)  Fill each circle with a teaspoon of jam.  Pinch corners
     of dough together to form a triangle.  Put the haman-
     tashen on a well greased cookie sheet.

5)  Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Yields 24 large or 40 small hamantashen

This recipe is a slight modification of one by
Marsha Holowinko which was published in the Winter 1994 Lifeline (CSA).

4 eggs                  1 t. vanilla (gf)
1 c. oil                1 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 t. salt             2 t. xanthan gum
4 1/2 cups gf flour*    4 t. gf baking powder

*Flour mixture= 1 c.  each:  brown rice, white rice and sweet rice flour
plus 1/2 cup potato starch

Cream sugar and oil.  Add eggs.  Blend well.  Blend in vanilla.  Measure
dry ingredients together and then add to wet.  (For some reason it
doesn't work as well if you add the wet to the dry.)  Add dry ingredients
a little at a time, mixing as you go along.  When you can't mix with a
fork any more, use your hands.  Make sure flour is completely mixed in.
Either flour a board and roll with a rolling pin and then cut out 2 1/2"
circles OR (my seven year old's new technique, which I prefer) make a
small (superball size) ball and flatten into a 2 1/2" circle onto a
greased cookie sheet.  Put 1 t.  filling** into the center of the circle.
Roll up sides of circle so a triangle is formed and then pinch the edges
together.  Bake at 350 for about 10-15 min.

**FILLING:  You can use canned pie filling (ie.  SOLO, which is gf) or
jam or (my preference) an all-fruit product like Polaner's All-fruit,
etc.  Pick your favorite.

Enjoy and Chag Purim!

Nancy Dorfman

GF Flour Mix:
1 c. brown rice flour
2/3 c. tapioca flour
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 c. white rice flour
1/3 c. corn starch
3/4 c. sweet rice flour
1/4 c. potato starch

Make a mix of this and use 2 cups of it (save the rest for something
else - waffles, cones, cookies) in the recipe:

Honey Dough:
2 c. sifted GF flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 shortening, softened
2 eggs
1/2 c. honey

Sift flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Make a well in the center
and place shortening, eggs and honey in it. Work together until a dough
is formed. Roll out on a GF floured surface and cut into 4" circles.
Place a heaping tablespoon of filling on each and fold into a triangle
shape, sealing the edges with wettened fingers.

Bake at 350 deg. for 20 min or until browned.  Makes about 1 1/2 dozen.

Fillings:

*Poppy Seed*:
1 c. poppy seeds
1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. honey
1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind

Grind poppy seeds or put through food chopper. Combine with milk and
honey. Cook all over low heat, stirring frequently until thick. Stir in
the lemon rind and cool the mixture. Cool and fill the dough.

*Nut & Honey*:
1 lb. (1/2kg) ground walnuts
1/2kg (1lb) honey
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. sugar
drop of lemon juice

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 2-3
minutes, stirring constantly. Let cool.

Happy holiday,
Sharon from Haifa