From:
"N. Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 1994 08:56:27 -0600

This conference is an excellent medium whereby those of us who have
access to the net can share information.  However, some recent postings
have reminded me that we should not ignore the other sources of support
and information available to celiacs such as, in the U.S., CSA/USA and
GIG/NA.  Information about these and other organizations was posted
earlier.  Even those in this conference who don't feel a personal
need for another source of information and support can help others by
attending meetings of one of these organizations and sharing what we have
learned here.  Joining an organization that works to help people with
celiac disease also increases that organization's resources and political
clout.

People who are newly diagnosed or parents of newly diagnosed
children desperately need information that they are not likely to get
from most physicians or dietitians.  Many of the people who attend
meetings of my Eastern Iowa CSA support group have very limited financial
resources.  They may be reluctant to buy a bread machine or even a jar of
xanthan gum without a chance to taste what they have been missing by not
using these products.  Some people  have become socially isolated because
they are ashamed to ask for special service at restaurants or as a guest in
others' homes.  Others may be dissatisfied with their medical care and
looking for a recommendation of a physician who is knowledgeable about
celiac disease.

Reach out beyond the net!  Those of us who have relatively good access to
information about coping with celiac disease can be a big help to those
who do not have our resources.