Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 21:12:00 EST

List: I am sorry that I have not summarized responses to my question about
gel; I have been fighting a computer breakdown!

Three respondents believe that the reference is to Knox unflavored gelatin;
but one of the people who has used it in baked goods reports mixed results and
gave no indication of the amount used; another respondent refers to Fenster,
"Special Diet Solutions" and calls Knox a "welcome addition to bread recipes
with gluten-free flours." Again, no amount is indicated, but Fenster's book
probably has specific instructions.

Two respondents believe the reference is to clear gel or ultra gel, a highly-
refined form of corn starch; one of them reports that it is pricey and hard to
find. Except for the pricey part this response seems to be the most probable
one.

One respondent prefers to use sweet rice flour, one part to nine parts of what
amounts to Hagman's flour mix.

George