From:
Vicki White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vicki White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:48:58 -0600

Fellow Celiacs,

Through my Google news alerts I have recently received the obituaries
of two senior citizens whose deaths were described as caused by
"complications of celiac disease".

I'm assuming, rightly or wrongly, that these people fell into the 60%
of individuals with celiac disease who do not follow the diet
rigorously. But, I''m also thinking that if these people died from
lymphoma or other disease than THAT would have been the stated cause of
death. Perhaps they just wasted away or broke a hip and then died and
the doctors labeled their thin bones the result of celiac disease?

In any event this serves as a sobering reminder to all of us to
maintain adherence to a gluten free lifestyle. I would like to know if
any of you have ever spoken directly with your GI doctor concerning
celiac as a cause of death?

I'll summarize your serious and thoughtful responses and the info from
your doctors.

Vicki