From:
Harlene Caroline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 08:18:53 -0500

Listmates,

I have been officially diagnosed by biopsy for a month now so it seems a
good day for my first posting of questions to the list.

Like many, I was probably actively celiac for about 10 years prior to
diagnosis.  I have been anemic for that period of time. In retrospect my
inability to absorb iron was due to the celiac disease instead of all
the causes we attributed it to. During that decade, I was also making a
deliberate effort to 'eat healthier' by increasing my intake of whole
grains. My father died of colon CA and I believe his low fiber intake
was a factor.

The GI who actually made the diagnosis was seeing me for a routine
sigmoidoscopy.  At the moment, he is following me although several
things he has said lead me to believe that he is not very familiar with
following celiacs.

My first question is about lymphoma.  While it is clear to me that I
need to be gluten free in order to reduce my risk now, I am concerned
that I have had 10 years of high gluten exposure.  The GI minimalized
this concern and did not think any tests for lymphoma were in order(I am
not clear from what I've read whether there are any).  He also did not
see any need for a bone density scan or any comprehensive blood tests
for other deficiencies besides the known iron.  "just take a
multi-vitamin" was his response.

My second question is about organizing oneself as a new celiac.  I find
my exhaustion and fogginess level to be a barrier.  Any hints on how to
cope with the first 6 months would be appreciated. As you can immagine,
I have many other questions but this is long enough already.

I will summarize responses that may be of interest to others. Thanks

Harlene Caroline