From:
Jeryl Cordell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 12:02:00 -0700

Thanks to all on the list for the heads-up on this article.  I hadn't
 told my wife that Celiac would be highlighted and so when she
 opened the envelope and saw that Celiac was the lead article
 she let out a yell of excitement.  Little by little we'll get the word
 out on this "orphan" disease.

I see in the Wall Street Journal today (front Page) that the dept of
 Transportation has told the airlines that they must set aside
 "peanut free" zones on air liners if given a call ahead because of
 the increasing allergies to peanuts and peanut dust in the air.
  This week the San Diego school district dropped peanut butter
 and jelly sandwiches from the standard menu for the same
 reasons.  Can wheat, etc. be far behind?  Not if we keep on
 them.  Gluten free meals would be a good start before they get to
 gluten free air zones.

Back to the Tufts article...while it is not news to us, to me it was
 the best condensation I've ever seen of what's included in this
 condition, what happens if we err and how insidious the hidden
 glutens are.  All in 1 1/3 pages.  Finally a condensed,
 professional thing I can refer to when friends, neighbors, co-
 workers, relatives ask "so what's the problem?"

There is also an excellent article in there on calcium and its effect
 on the transport of iron to the bloodstream and on iron storage.
 This has been a topic of discussion on this list recently.

I have no connection to the Tufts letter, but have always found it
 to be the best of the lot, even when compared to the Harvard,
 Stanford and Johns Hopkins similar letters.  It is written in
 readable, understandable language; ends each article with so-
 what-should-you-do; and is always quick to correct itself when
 new or changed info comes out.