From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:09:20 +0000

Dear Ann,

While it's kind of you to send a translation of your recipe
into cups for list members in the 'States etc, could I make
a plea for a reciprocal arrangement from the 'States.

Quite simply, NO recipe I have received in US cup measure
has ever worked properly.  I no longer bother.  It's
quicker for me to start from scratch.  Modern cooking,
working from electronic scales is incredibly easy and
precise and I cannot understand why anyone should wish to
continue with such a tedious, old-fashioned system.  It has
the other problem that it is very sensitive to the size of
what you are measuring (try weighing 2 cups of potato cut
in half-inch cubes against finely chopped potato.  The
difference is enormous).  We often hear members of this
list having problems making bread.  We use a bread-maker
and it wasn't until we forgot our measuring jug this year
and used those of friends while we were away, that we
realised that 5 millilitres of water either way make a huge
difference, while the volume variation in measuring jugs
can be 5 times this.  We now WEIGH the water for Karin's
bread too.  This has taken most of the puzzling variation
out of the loaves she makes every other day.

Regards

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Protection Adviser
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209

Support the Jubilee 2000 movement.  Remove the debt burden
from third world countries.  See http://www.cafod.org.uk/petition.htm