From:
"Wallenfels, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 10:09:00 -0800

>I'd heard that zinc would remove the white spots on my nails, but
>what are it's other properties? I've always gone with the old
>vitamin C treatment for colds.

This was something recently discovered/proven in clinical trials.  In
some cases it stops the cold entirely, in others it reduces the
symptoms.  Depends on how soon you take it.

>Any side effects from prolonged use, or possibility of overdosage?

YES.  Too little zinc and your immune system won't function.  But too
much also messes it up.  I have heard doses of over 75 miligrams daily
can interfere with immune function.  50 milligrams daily is a pretty
safe maintenance dose from what I hear.  In the case of the lozenges,
they are ususally about 15 mg each so it's safe to use several a day.
Also, I wouldn't worry terribly about exceeding the dose on any one day
(like if you take your regular vitamins plus lozenges), just don't do
that for too many days in a row.

Jenn
Seattle, WA USA