From:
Linda C Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 14:08:50 EDT

Hello Listfriends,
        This is only my second post to the list but I wanted to take a
moment to comment on the recent posts regarding fragrances and gluten.  I
am Celiac and though I have not had a skin biopsy as of yet it certainly
appears I also have DH. I also tend to have multiple allergies and
sensitivities, which may or may not be directly related to the CD ( I
tend to feel that the compromised immune system is a contributing factor).

While it may be true that some fragrances do contain gluten/gliadin
proteins and heaven only knows what the source of alcohol is in various
scented products[ w/o calling every single manufacturer of every product
that enters my home] I would be permanently attached to a telephone. I
tend to agree wholeheartedly with Jim Lyles, that without a complete
reference and some sort of documentation a broad based statement on the
status of a products gluten should not be made.

 IMHO, many other Celiacs could be suffering from an assortment of
sensitivities that while bothersome do not have the inherent danger of CD
and that many *reactions* are not directly related to CD but tho other
allergies/sensitivities ( compromised immune system).

This list has been a lifesaver for me and is generally a wealth of
information. I have learned very much from so many of the members, when I
was first diagnosed I had zero information and when I started my own
*research* I was overwhelmed. Here on the list I have found a sort of
balance. I tend to be somewhat conservative and though I know we all need
to be careful (CD nearly took me out), for myself I don't have the desire
to get paranoid. Celiac life could be difficult, we have a lot we must
avoid but there are much worse things we could be trying to live with,
just my penny's worth.

Linda Holmes--Glenburn, Maine
It's snowing like crazy and it's the end of April!!