From:
Juliann Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:17:46 EDT

Dear Listmates,
My 12 year old celiac daughter was just diagnosed with Type II Diabetes.  My
doctor is sending a sample diabetic menu.  I've gone to the archives but
haven't found any ideas for meals and snacks.  My daughter loves her bread,
cereal, and pasta.  She isn't fond of eggs but ate them yesterday morning.
If any of you could send me suggestions for meals/snacks, suggest books to
read, etc, I would be so grateful.  I'm not sure how starches and sugars fit
into this diet.  The doctor suggests no dairy products, no fruit juices, no
canned goods, no hydrogenated oils, just to mention a few.  Can she have a
slice of brown rice toast with natural peanut butter in the morning?  Are
gluten free pancakes-plain or with a little butter okay?  Is a grilled cheese
sandwich okay?  Are baked potatoes okay-what do people do for starches at
dinner time?  How do you get your sweet fix?  Is air popped popcorn okay?
The doctor also suggests no artificial sweeteners, which I don't give my
children anyway.

I'm really hoping there are a few of you out there that can help me.
Sincerely,
Juli of NC