From:
HOLLIE TUTWILER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:55:20 -0400

I wonder if anyone can tell about people with Celiac Disease being eligible
for SSI disability. I've been chronically ill all my life, but I was still
able to function almost normally, but two years ago I took a turn for the
worse. I've had disabling fatigue and pain every single day. I haven't
worked in a year and a half. I'm just going to school living off student
loans and welfare. In November I was diagnosed with CD, and I've been on the
gluten-free diet ever since, and it has cured my gastro-intestinal problems
and made me a little better overall, but I'm still so frail and in so much
pain. A couple weeks ago I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. In my hips it's
quite bad, 3.69 standard deviations below the mean. I guess that's why I'm
in so much pain. My jaw joint has also disintegrated very badly. I guess I
have to have surgery for that. When I found out about CD, I was encouraged
because I thought I could rehabilitate after being on the diet for a while,
but now my doctors aren't very encouraging. I have a lawyer and have applied
for SSI, but I'm told that because I'm young (28) and educated I might not
be able to get it. Has anyone else had experiences like this? Any advice
will be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely, Hollie