From:
John Wynhausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 10:28:53 -0500

>I HEARD a doctor on the radio talking about glutamine which contributes to
> the healing of the intestine. Does anyone know about this?

I will cite a couple of books I have on it:
   Glutamine: Physiology, Biochemistry, and Nutrition in Critical Illness
    by Wiley W.Souba, M.D.   R.G.Landes Co. Austin

The Ultimate Nutrient Glutamine by Judy Shabert, M.D.,R.D. Nancy Ehrlich
   ( how to use glutamine to strngthen the immune system, improve muscle
mass and heal      the digestive tract)

Glutamine is considered a non-essential amino acid. In other words, it is
made by the body.  But under stress it gets depleted. So now hospitals are
administering it post surgically, especially for gut operations.  The cells
of the immune system also run on glutamine as opposed to glucose. It is an
immune system builder but it is hard to get in food because it tends to get
destroyed by cooking.  I know an unusual way of boosting glutamine levels
but I choose not to discuss that openly on this server. If anyone is curious
about that they can contact me privately.

John Wynhausen <[log in to unmask]>