From:
"Vicki E. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vicki E. Jones
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:49:21 -0500

Dear Listmates -
Everyone said Cipro is gluten-free. Both the oral brand-name
and the IV are gluten-free. I don't know about any generic oral
substitutes.

However, two listmates cautioned against serious adverse
reactions to Cipro:
1. One listmate said it can cause ruptures of tendons, especially the
achilles tendons, for up to 6 months after taking it.

2. One listmate said Cipro shut down her kidneys.
Here is her email:
"whoa...you DO NOT WANT TO TAKE CIPRO.....I took it for 2 days before I
went into hospital for a strep infection.  Two days later as I was
laying in bed, I was suddenly surrounded by md's who immediately wheeled
me down to dialysis.  THE CIPRO HAD SHUT DOWN MY KIDNEYS.    I was
lucky..5 dialysis treatments and my kidneys came back on line.

The infectious disease md told me that I was "not the first, but among
the first" this had happened to.  Cipro can affect your kidneys and blow
out your hamstrings.  That is generally not known.  Fiftenn years ago
when Cipro first came out, there were not all that many antibiotics to
choose from...but now there are.

When I told my gp what had happened, he said flat out that he would no
longer prescribe cipro.  He didn't know it's side effects and he teaches
in med school.

I suggest that you include my whole response in your summary

To answer your question, yes it is gf...but who care
Ann "

As for me, I had problems with Cipros side effects - it made me so
lethargic
and sleepy I couldn't function. I am trying Macrodantin, but if that
doesn't
work in a day or two, the sensitivity/culture reached my doctor today, and
Amoxicillin will work.

Vicki