From:
Alec Maines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 16:32:51 -0400

Hi all,

One of the things I've learned (and sometimes a little knowledge can be
dangerous) is that the recipes on this list, although fun, are exactly the
wrong kind of foods that a person with a healing gut should eat(flours &
baked goods).

After struggling with intestinal repair and bacterial overgrowth, I am now
under the supervision of an clinical nutritionist who has me almost totally
eliminating carbohydrates in order to repair the gut by not providing a
food source for all the "bad bugs". Elaine Gottschall explains this very
well in her book "Breaking the Viscious Cycle" explaining the right diet to
eat during the healing process reducing the bacterial overgrowth.

In my experience with the list, I never felt warned against carbohydrates,
just very fibrous foods, perhaps I missed it.

I would hope that those people nutritionally knowledgeable about intestinal
repair on the list could send input to the right party making up the FAQ so that
newcomers get off on the right foot. Who is the right person to communicate
with?

Thanks for your attention. Alec

Alec Maines
Washington, DC