From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 08:59:05 PDT

Glutamine is an amino acid.  It is the major amino acid in wheat gluten
proteins, making up 30-55% of the amino acids in these proteins.  In itself
and not as part of a protein or peptide, it is apparently harmless to celiac
patients on the basis of one early paper.  If the product in question
includes only the purified amino acid and no proteins or peptides derived
from wheat, it would not be harmful to celiac patients.  The acid hydrolysis
product of glutamine is glutamic acid, essentially the same as MSG.  I do not
know how large amounts of glutamine taken as the pure amino acid would affect
humans, but I am fairly sure it would not trigger celiac disease in the
strict sense.

Don Kasarda, Albany, CA