From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:00:18 -0700

Hi Everyone:
I did specifically ask for information regarding possible reactions to flavorings used in commercially produced almond milk.  Most of the answers I got were about almond milk being GF; only one of the responses specifically mentioned flavoring agents:  "I can't have barley malt, which seems to be in many other brands of almond milk. I drink (Blue) Diamond Almond Milk quite frequently without problems."

Based on the responses I will continue to make my own almond milk, as I am very distrustful of all additives used for flavoring purposes.

But anyway: several people suggested Almond Breeze (at Whole Foods)
Others recommend 1) Blue Diamond (plain)

2) Pacific almond milk http://www.pacificfoods.com/products-nut-grain.php
We like Pacific Low Fat Original Almond All Natural, Non-Dairy
Beverage.  The label reads lactose free and gluten free.  Ingredient
list is almond base, brown rice sweetener, natural flavor, tricalcium
phosphate, sea salt, guar gum, xanthan gum, carrageenan, carob bean
gum, riboflavin, vitamin A palmitate, and vitamin D2. It is
produced by Pacific Foods of Oregon, Inc., Tualatin, OR  97062.  To
contact, call (503) 692-9666 from 8-5 PST or go to www.pacificfoods.com

...mashed potatoes are delicious  with almond milk.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
Nancy in nyc

Some suggestions for making it yourself:
1. Just put in about a half cup of almonds in the
blender, then blend them up good and then about a cup of water; blend
again and put through a strainer.   If I am using it to cook something, say
like cornbread or oats I don't even strain it... works very good... to use
to drink you can add a little sugar and some gluten free vanilla .   Some
times I just leave out the vanilla.

2.
1/2 cup raw almonds
  2 cups water
  2 dates, pitted

  In a blender or food processor, blend almonds until they become
  an even meal.  Add water and dates and blend thoroughly.  Using
  a strainer or cheesecloth, pour milk into a pitcher.  Refrigerate.
  Yield:  2 cups

  This recipe is from the 'Wheat-free Gluten-free Recipes for
  Special Diets' Cookbook.

  Connie Sarros
  Gluten-free Cookbooks
  http://gfbooks.homestead.com/gfdiets.html

3.Making Nut or Seed Milk-- from Rodale Cookbook
To make nut or seed milk:  Lightly roast* and grind any nuts or seeds.  While grinding,
gradually add water (whole or reconstituted dry milk can also be used) until
a potable consistency is attained.  (when using sesame seeds, strain the
blended mixture.) One-quarter cup of nuts or seeds will yield one cup or
milk.  sweeten it with honey or molasses, and add a few drops of vanilla
extract if you desire.

*Roasting:  Add a teaspoon of oil, if wanted, to each cup of nuts, coating
evenly.  Spread on a shallow pan/baking sheet, cook in an 350 degree
preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and lightly browned,
five to ten minutes.  Nuts and seeds continue to brown slightly after being
removed from the heat, so be careful not to overcook them.  Cool on paper
towels.

1 cup of nuts [almonds, cashews, macademia & hazelnuts were all recommended]
4 1/2 cups of water
2 tbsp. honey
pinch of salt [optional]

Blend together at highest speed for 10 minutes. Strain through a tea towel
or piece of muslin. Bottle and chill. Will keep in the fridge for about 10
days.