From:
Joan Davitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Davitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 12:24:50 -0400

Here are the responses to my request. Some have redundant information, but
I didn't have time to summarize. So it is all here. and on the next email
joan

"just returned from Italy and had very little problem ordering in
restaurants.  I used some home-made cards (which I found on line somewhere
and just cut them out and taped them together).  (They're attached).  They
each say something a little different but they got my point across and
everyone was very friendly. Also, you can buy GF crackers in the Pharmacia.
(I didn't go in a grocery store but they might have them there
too).  But!  I also ordered GF beer from the Pharmacia. I ordered 2 bottles
around 10:00 in the morning and he told me to come back around 4:00 in the
afternoon, and sure enough, he had my beer for me!!!   I wouldn't usually
drink beer in Italy since the wine is so good, but just to try it again was
great."

"I have been to Italy several times, and never have I had a bad meal.  In
the book, against the grain, you will find the restaurant cards in all
languages.  I brought several with me and the italians were extremely
receptive to my needs.  the pharmacia's sell GF products too. "

"We spent 3 glorious weeks in Italy - Tuscany, Florence, Venice, Rome,
Almafi Coast---- you will have the best time of your life!  Most every
pharmacy carries gluten free products.  Buy a pound of spagetthi (sp?) and
carry it with you and ask the restaurant to fix it for you. We ate in
restaurants that had gluten free pasta.  The grocery stores carry gluten
free goods.  In the book "Against the Grain" are italian gluten free
cards.  Also, go on the web and download information - there is a wealth of
it.  There is an Italian celiac society, so do your homework before you go!
The salamis, the olives, the fruit, etc. etc. Fresh fish everywhere -
salads. You will be tremendously pleased at how accommodating the Italians
are!
I have one recommendation for a restaurant in Florence - it's terribly
expensive, but worth every penny. You will need to make reservations before
you go to Italy.  The name is Cibreo.  They also have a bistro version of
that restaurant across the street that is less expensive and less formal.  "

"My celiac daughter made a trip to Italy a few years ago with her
grandparents, and they reported it was very easy to travel there.  GF foods
are available in the pharmacies - some right on the shelves, and many more
that can be ordered if you plan to be in a certain town or city for a few
days. They carried a gf restaurant card with them, and found almost universal
understanding and friendliness about serving them.  They encountered some
places which had gf menus, and some places were willing to cook up the gf
pasts they carried in with them.  Other times my daughter would eat meat or
fish.  She was too  young to appreciate the risottos, but she loved the
gelato."

"You will find lots of specifics on Venice in particular in the Celiac
Archives.  My impression is that the north of Italy has better awareness
than elsewhere but I am sure you will find awareness evrywhere better than
the US. Also rice dishes are more common in Venice (but be careful the rice
is not cooked in pasta water). There are very good GF products around if
you have time to find them - look at the Schar http://www.schaer.com and
Bi-Aglut websites http://www.biaglut.com/prodotti/default.aspx Incidentally
I have found it quite easy to eat gluten-free in really good Italian
restaurants outside Italy as they know what is in their food and do not
generally thicken sauces with flour.  Antipastas are generally OK. If in
doubt go for the more upmarket places: the touristy places selling cheap
pasta and pizza will be the worst.  Good Italian food is I think the best
in the world, so you don't want to miss out!"

"Check out www.glutenfreepassport.com  There is extensive dining out info
for travelers."

>This is a free Italian restaurant card I found on the internet.  We are
>going in October to all the same places, so let us know how it goes!
>http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/21-italian.html

The last issue of Gluten Free Living magazine has an article written about
travel to Italy.

Gluten Intolerance group has a variety of gluten free language cards in
German, Italian, French and Spanish. There is also a European website  with
info for celiacs about everything from eating at World cup soccer
venues  etc..You should be able to google it!

Try Triumph Dining at    www.triumphdining.com

I've been to Italy a couple of times, and I never had a problem eating out.
In addition, practically every farmacia carries GF food (usually Schaar
products). Restaurants have many delicious meals. There is a large GF store
about a block away from the rear side of Santa Maria Maggiore church

There is the website of the Italian Association for Celiac Disease that is
really good ("www.celiachia.it"). It is maily in Italian, but you can find
some parts also in English. (on the home page, on the right thre is a
little british flag and there you can find something in English).
Regarding resturants and places to eat, on the website there is the
complete list of all diners, restaurants and pizzerias that know about CD
and that have gluten free menus.

If you find yourself in Sorrento, the kitchen staff at the hotel
Michelangelo were all over it.  One of the chefs had a sister with CD.

we are going there next March and this web site gave me tons of celaic
translation stuff...

http://www.celiactravel.com/restaurant-cards.html