From:
Shelley Case <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shelley Case <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:47:21 -0600

Gluten is the general name for the storage proteins (prolamins) in
wheat, rye and barley. These specific prolamins damage the small
intestine in people with celiac disease.The actual name of the toxic
prolamins are gliadin in wheat, secalin in rye and horedin in barley.

Corn and rice also contain gluten and the corn prolamin is called zein
and rice prolamin is called orzenin. However, these prolamins do not
have a toxic effect on the intestine of persons with celiac disease.
Therefore, corn "gluten" is acceptable on a gluten-free diet.

It is important when contacting a company to determine the gluten-free
status of a product to ask if it contains any wheat, rye or barley in
the ingredients or components of the ingredients rather than asking if
it is gluten-free because of this very issue of corn gluten.

Shelley Case, B. Sc., RD
Case Nutrition Consulting, www.glutenfreediet.ca
<http://www.glutenfreediet.ca>
Author: Gluten Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide
Co-Author: Celiac Section, Manual of Clinical Dietetics, American
Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada
Medical Advisory Board: Celiac Disease Foundation, Gluten Intolerance
Group, Canadian Celiac Association
Advisory Board: Living Without Magazine and Gluten-Free Living Magazine
EMail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>