From:
Nancy Lilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 21:08:04 -0700

My computer's been down for a week.  What a batch of list postings to go
through while also catching up on office stuff!  I asked a question a
couple of weeks ago re/digestion book.  Will figure that out & post info
soon.

In the meantime - was pleased to see some input re/gluten challenge
protocol, as I hope to talk my doctor into getting a diagnosis.   I'm self
diagnosed & have been GF for five or six years, because the doctor/HMO
situation I was in as I got sicker & sicker weren't much help.

So many people have their horror stories with being sick & trying to get a
diagnosis, and I'm no exception.  But I really would like to share that
doctor's circuitous reasoning.
        "Your problem is just stress & you really need to keep taking these
tranquilizers.  It's the stress that's causing the pain & bloating &
diarrhea, etc."
        "But, doctor, truly I'm not stressed."

        "Of course, you're stressed.  Anybody would be stressed if they had
uncontrollable diarrhea."

So I have diarrhea because I'm stressed because I have diarrhea.  Yeah right!

Anyway, when in desperation I went on a GF diet, she said that since the
diet worked, I no longer needed a diagnosis.

Well, back to reality.  Finally, a new doctor, who is not terribly
knowledgeable about CD, but who is willing to learn & seems to consider me
a rational being...  And I think it's time to bite the bullet (or the
grain) and work toward an official medical diagnosis. I'll be seeing her
next week & will discuss it with her,  & would like to be able to give here
an idea of the protocol of a gluten challenge.

Was pleased to see Sue's posting of Dr. Murray's info.  Also, in the
current CDF newsletter, Don Baisch recommends (opinion, not medical advice)
"something like three full slices of good wheat bread for each of three or
four days" or until there is a definite gluten reaction, and then have the
blood test once you have the "gluten-intolerant" reaction.

I thought maybe dressing and gravy at Thanksgiving for the first time in
many years, plus pizza and beer over the holiday weekend might get me to
where I could take the blood test the following week.  Yes, I miss beer
too!  It sounds like half the list were beer drinkers before becoming GF.

Anyway, it would be a big help to hear from anyone who has taken THE
CHALLENGE.  How much, how long, etc.  I'm really afraid to get that sick
again, & am going to take some time off work.  If I get as sick as I did the
time I didn't read the label on something I was used to buying & didn't know
they had added HVP until too late, I know I won't be able to work until my
system calms down a bit.  Guys, as ,much as I'm looking forward to beer, I'm
REALLY scared!  Any input would be appreciated, either to me directly, or to
the list if you think it's of general interest.

Thanks so much - Nancy