Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:48:34 EST

Genes don't change ever so I don't imagine there would be a lower limit.  Dr.
Fine's testing uses a cheek swab.

To problems with it...about 1/4 of the people have the most common gene but
in most that gene is never triggered and they don't get celiac.

They many not yet know every gene responsible for celiac.  A couple of
possibilities have been identified and other are suspected.  It might be
best to do
gene testing on the known celiac so you know which, if any, gene you are
expecting to find.

Testing for celiac in not real efficient in children under 1 since they
immune systems are not well developed.  Rather than targeting a specific
offender,
it targets a broader range of them...Many things--milk, soy, gluten, can
produce similar looking reaction in children under 1.  After that the
reactions are
more specific, making testing more accurate.  Introducing gluten at 12
months, let's you get baby off to a healthy start.  You have identified any
other
problem foods by then (for my granddaughter it was milk--from day 1, and rice
introduced at age 7 months & continues today...She's 4. tests of celiac at
1.5 &
3 were negative.)  You have learned what is normal behavior for you child and
have a nice history of weight & height on the growth charts.

Michelle from the University of Chicago has a chart she uses in her
presentation.  The chart tracks the most common symptoms at various ages.
Invariably,
between 1 & 2 they were diarrhea (90%), failure to thrive (85%), irritibililty
(75%) & vomiting (50%), with all other symptoms at less that 5%.  As kids
age, these symptoms are replaced by other less definitive ones.  For those
5-12,
it's pretty much a mixed bag.
By the time the kids were in the 12-18 range other symptoms--anemia, fatigue,
other GI and non GI complaints were more common thatn diarrhea (50%)

Since celiac usually only has the fewest & most predictable symptoms in kids
ages 1-2, it would be easiest to make an definitive diagnosis at that age.

In a U/Chicago Celiac Fact Sheet, it noted that kids diagnosed before age 4
have the lowest risk for developing other autoiommune disorders.  I'm
attaching
a copy of that sheet as an MS .doc file.

From what I understand I was told that they should be tested for the genetic
markers soon after birth . If they carry the genetic markers for celiac than
yes, you need to keep them off of gluten for the first two years. After that
and the gluten is introduced I understand that the child can be tested. If you
leave near NY I would recommend making an appointment with Anne Lee at
Columbia. Though she is a nutritionist she was very knowledgeable in the
subject and
told me that when I get to that point in my life I can return to her for some
guidance. Her phone number is 212-305-5590. It isn't her direct line but I am
sure she could be some assistance. I have not found anyone else I trust to
give
me an answer .