From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 06:00:53 -0500

Until this week, subscribers names and email addresses were available for
review by any subscriber to the Celiac List.  For those not familiar with
the command, REVIEW CELIAC returned the names and email addresses of
subscribers.

The command is no longer available on Celiac or Cel-Kids. Its use is now
restricted to the Listowners.

The listowners took this step after reports from other internet mailing
lists, that commercial companies had subscribed, downloaded every email
address, and then used them for "spam" i.e. internet junk mail.  We felt
that removing the REVIEW command was a prudent option for all our Lists,
even though to date, there has never been any report of improper use of
our subscribers names.

The Listowners will assist any subscriber who has a reasonable request for
subscriber information.  An example of this would be if you lost someone's
email address who is also a subscriber on our list.  Another example, for
those outside the US, Canada and the UK (where there are so many what this
would be impractical), would be to contact fellow subscribers from a your
own country.

Please direct any comments, or requests for information to my ID in a new
email.  Please, DO NOT use the "reply" function of your email software to
respond to this message, as it may wind up being posted to all 1000
subscribers by accident.

Regards,

Michael W. Jones ([log in to unmask])
One of the CELIAC LISTSERV owners ([log in to unmask])
One of the CEL-KIDS LISTSERV owners ([log in to unmask])