From:
Holly McCollam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Holly McCollam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 2015 20:38:57 -0400

Hello,

I am so thankful to have you all to reach out to for help!  A person can start to feel a little wacko with a myriad of what seems like unexplainable symptoms but you all have really helped to put my mind at ease & have also given me some other possibilities that I am going to check into.

I received so many responses all of which confirmed chest pain can coincide with gas.  Many people suggested it could be reflux, GERD or possibly gall bladder.

Many people also asked me to summarize as they experience the same type of thing.  I agree that chest pain is nothing to fool around with & if you have not had heart issues ruled out please make sure to do that.

Below are some of the responses received:

yes and yes! and for what it is worth, in later years severe pain between shoulder blades.   The only relief i could get was with a small dose muscle relaxant! and had to wait some days for the full effects to clear up... brain fog and generally not a well feeling overall!  we all need to hear the many variable responses to gluten to know ours is not unusual!

I don’t know if this is the case for you, but often pains that feel like they are arising in the chest can be esophageal spasm which causes the same sensation.

I have had a few incidents of moderate to severe gas pains in my chest from trapped gas that are a result of eating foods that I am intolerant to. Sometimes Alka Seltzer Gold (basically bicarbonate) helps, gas x has given me relief other times. By the way, I also have GERD.

I'd be curious to hear what others have to say too.  I don't know if it's gluten, but I get terrible gas a lot and it does cause me chest pain.  mostly along the left side and even up high near my shoulder.  It can be horrible.  One doctor told me I had splenic flexure syndrome which is pretty much trapped gas that can's escape.

Your gastroenterologist is a little wacky. :-D Seriously, gas causes me chest pain ALL. THE. TIME. (And yes, I've had actual heart problems ruled out.) And I know many other people that experience the same thing.
Your symptoms sound exactly like what I experience when I accidentally ingest gluten. (Also, sometimes abdominal cramping.)

Chest pain was one of my symptoms after ingesting gluten. I also thought I was having a heart attack, and my doc sent me for every heart related test imaginable. Gas, if it becomes trapped, can cause those pains. I also have a hiatal hernia which seems to increase the pressure of trapped gas bubbles. I still get scared though, thinking it is heart related. Usually I take a sip of a carbonated beverage and it seems to consolidate any small gas pockets into one large one and then just belch it out. Chest pain usually goes away.

Before I was diagnosed I had a lot of chest pain. I get the quick stab of pain every once in awhile still.

I once had severe chest pains in the same area that turned out to be an inflammation in my chest wall after being glutened.  Since gluten is known to be the cause of inflammation, perhaps that may have been the cause for you as well?  I did have to spend hours at the hospital for the diagnosis (and to rule out things like heart attacks and blood clots) but I have noticed that this paint only (very rarely, thank goodness) happens if I've been accidentally glutened ;(

Thanks again!
Holly

Sent from my iPad