From:
Elizabeth Margareta Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 19:01:55 -0500

Yesterday I tried cold cooked rice as a breakfast cereal for my son.  I
added raisins to hot water, then mixed in powdered milk, alcohol-free
vanilla extract, and honey.  Mix well, add rice.  He said it was an
adequate substitute for toasted oat cereal.  Since cooked rice is
unsweetened, you can, if you need to for your child's taste, add quite a
bit of honey and still come out ahead of many cold breakfast cereals.
Vanilla helps sweeten it, too.

Bette Hagman's recipe for tea scones (More from the Gluten-Free Gourmet)
is a great recipe simply because it works even when abused.  I've
substituted peanut butter for the butter for a flaky, kid-pleasing result
- even with a completely random mix of gf flours.  I've also made a fat
and dairy free version by substituting mashed banana for the yogurt and
butter.  The only thing that backfired was using sweet-and-low in place
of sugar, but you can cut the sugar in half without harm.  Moral - while
I'm sure the recipe as followed is divine, don't let the careful listing
of flours intimidate you - her recipes are practical and adaptable.

Elizabeth