From:
Eve Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eve Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:45:56 -0700

This is a summary of the responses I received about GF in Rehoboth Beach, DE. We ended up not eating out a lot. We ate at Big Fish, but the food was mediocre. We at at Five Guys by the boardwalk, and the manager was helpful and rang up the order himself and placed/plated the order himself.

The sign at Kohr Brothers frozen custard on the boardwalk said that all their products contain wheat, but their web site says that plain vanilla frozen custard in a cup is OK. But instead, we opted for ice cream from a place that was on the corner of Rehoboth Ave and the Boardwalk; I think it was called The Ice Cream Store.

There is THE BIG FISH
GRILL right on RT.1  across from the turnoff for the beach in Rehoboth
Beach.  They have a GF menu and the manager will come to the table and
help you.

Bethany Blues
Barbecue Restaurant , in Bethany and Lewes , is cooperative.  The
manager will come to the table and go over the menu. they are very tuned in and
food is yummy.

Nage. One thing the wait person told me to
do first was pick out the protein  I
wanted and they would build my dish around it. FYI, they also have a site in
Washington, D.C.,  I believe. I had the
best seafood stew there of anyplace I'd eaten in months!

If your kids like Asian food, there is a nice place called
the Cultured Pearl - pretty inside,
and very good mixed asian cuisine menu.  No gf menu, but they have been
able to feed us.

On Rehoboth Ave. just near the boardwalk is afive guys (burger place). They will do
burger without bun, and the only thing in the fryers is the fries. (Note: Do
NOT go here if you have any peanut allergies!)

Thrashers Fries, which is on the boardwalk and Rehoboth Ave., are GF.
They are the best ever boardwalk fries!

There is Dos Locos
Mexican on Rehoboth avenue that has corn tortillas.

There is a Health food store in Bethany Beach, across from
the beach. Can’t think of name.

Lilit Cafe in
Bethesda, MD is wonderful   www.lilitcafe.com

Also, we did spend two days in Washington, DC.

The site, http://www.dcceliacs.com/index.html, is very helpful.

We had dinner at the Austin Grill. They had a GF menu, and the server totally understood GF. She immediately told us, without us even asking, that the chips and salsa were GF.

We also had lunch in the cafe at the National Museum of the American Indian, because we heard they had GF foods. While they do, and they are labeled, I was a bit nervous about the way the food was served. It would be very easy to have cross-contamination in the busy food court-type setting, but my daughter was fine and we had no bad incidents..

We stayed at the Washington Suites Georgetown, which I'd highly recommend. The suite setting is GF-friendly, because you can prepare some of your own food in the kitchenette, and there's a Trader Joe's right across the street. And it's two blocks from the Metro. The Thai resaurant next door can prepare a dish or two that's GF.

*******
*******