From:
Elaine Rigby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elaine Rigby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 00:27:06 -0400

Hi all,

I would like to let you all know that I got a lot of response to this.  Most
folks wanted to remind me to be sure to let them know that I'll need clean
water, in a clean pot.

I should let you all know that I'm aware of this, and thank you all for your
concern : )  It is a good thing to let everyone know.  IF your bringing your
own pasta to a restaurant, many of these places keep one giant pot on to
boil all day and just keep topping off the water as they bring it up to boil
for a new load of pasta.  Some, ala Mario Batali will even use the pasta
water in their stocks and sauces, so beware of that also.

Always ask that any food prepared for you be made in clean bowls/pans with
clean water etc.

Several folks were concerned that perhaps once the folks at Carrabas realize
that it would require them to heat up a separate pot of water in a clean
pan, they might not be so willing to cook our own pasta.  A phone call to
the local manager might be in order before you head out with your Tinkyada.

I did write a second letter back to Carrabas, asking what their requirements
would be.  A) would all managers accept pasta from home?   2) How would they
recommend we convey our needs for clean pots/water to the kitchen? 3) Does
the bag/box of pasta need to be unopened? (I also let them know it was
gluten free AKA rice/potato/corn pasta that we were speaking off, not whole
wheat, and that inclusion of wheat rye or barley would make us seriously
ill)

Many folks who wrote back stated they would be leary of actually getting the
clean water in a restaurant where the management seems so clueless.  These
folks are indeed owned by the same corporation that owns Outback and
Bonefish.  I think we all need to remember to be careful. To remember what
our own bodies tolerate, and keep to our own trust levels.  If you don't
trust the restaurant, if the staff doesn't seem to understand your needs,
the kitchen seems busy, they're is a long wait to get in, stick with the
known safe dishes, or turn around and head elsewhere.  Our health is not
something to mess with.

If you trust your server, things seem under control, and you have a good
history with the restaurant, it's up to you to make the judgement call.
However,we now know they will take the pasta and cook it.

Laney