From:
Beth Hillson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 23:00:51 -0400

I have been noticing a great deal of chit chat about friendships and the g-f
diet.  I just want to share a couple of my own tidbits.

I am a life-long celiac so the diet is simply the way I live.  Nearly twenty
years ago I was teaching a Chinese cooking class and a man in the class
stayed late to help me with the dishes.  This happened for several weeks and
as time went on, the discussion turned to my diet and diet restrictions.  He
must have paid close attention.  Several weeks later he invited me to dinner
at his house and cooked a lovely gluten-free meal right down to almond
cookies for dessert.  I was impressed.

Needless to say, we were married and now I have a son who is also celiac.

He is a teenager and the subject comes up frequently about feeling and
acting different because of the gluten-free diet.  When he says, "Mom, my
friends will make fun of me."  I respond with "Then they aren't your friends."

Over the years MY friends have come to my defense and looked out for my diet
more than I have.  It's just part of caring.  I've tried to convey that to
my son and know that he is already experiencing that same brand of
friendship in his circle of friends.

I felt the need to share these stories because I feel that the diet and
coping with it are just a few of those challenges called "Life."  For me,
that diet has been a test that has shown me what true friendship is.

Beth at the Gluten-Free Pantry