From:
Megan Harding <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Harding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 16:25:47 -0400

Hello All,

I reveived 33 replies to my inquiry from other listmembers who also have
problems with corn.

I have been avoiding obvious sources of corn for 10 years, but had allowed
myself to eat moderate amounts of corn syrup and corn starch.  Due to
now-chronic GI problems and other symptoms, I had been contemplating
cutting out ALL forms of corn.  The general consensus of the group was
that, if you have problems with corn, you need to cut out ALL corn.   Here
are some snippets.

*****************

I must avoid all types of corn.  I in addition need to avoid High Fructose
Corn Syrup.  I have been corn and gluten free for 4 years.  Keep in mind
that some companies use corn in their Modified Food Starch, natural
flavoring, sugar subsitutes such as splenda and corn is in Xanthum Gum.

I too have been GF for about 10 years.  And for years I have had bouts of
severe diarrhea, gone to the GI Doc and heard, look at your diet or another
food.  About 2 weeks ago I finally decided to try eliminating corn.
Immediately I was better.  Of course eating in the real world means small
errors in judgement.  I find that, as with gluten, even a tiny bit of corn
(corn syrup) makes me have bloating and diarrhea.

Many of the people I know who are Celiac are actually allergic to corn -
all forms.  Most of us have multiple food allergies besides having the
gluten intolerance.  If it's an allergy you would go off ALL forms of corn
for about 3-6 months and then rotate it back into your diet little by
little to see if you get any more reactions.
Most corn is full of pestisides and mold so you could be allergic to
something like that too.

************

Others also mentioned mold in corn products, and I have a KNOWN sensitivity
to mold.

**************

Here is one person who said, yes, there seemed to be LESS sensitivity to
things like corn syrup, versus corn.

 am a mom of 5 kids all with celiacs, my husband also has celiacs and I am
"gluten intolerant".  Several of us cannot tolerate corn, eggs, dairy for
sure and there seem to be other foods we are having trouble with.  This
appears to be fairly common. As far as we see even corn syrup in products
seem to bother one of my daughters. It seems everyone has varying degrees
of sensitivity over here.

******************

In the category of "life is not easy," one person replied:

I also react to all corn products or their derivatives.  Going corn free
is just another part of being "gluten free" in my life.

I received a number of other replies that the corn thing became an
extension of being gluten-free.  Unfortunately, there were a few who said
that eliminating corn is actually MORE DIFFICULT than eliminating wheat.
Consider that a form of corn, dextrose, is even added to ordinary table
salt.

Also, an ingredient often used in gluten-free baking, XANTHAN GUM, is
apparently a corn derivative.  Drat!

*******************************

Many did say that, like me, they developed the corn intolerance YEARS AFTER
becoming gluten free...

Bingo - same with me.

Avoided wheat for years, a year ago had to give up corn including
*all* corn products,
even vinegar ...
That expanded to canola oil, sulfite-containing things like maple
syrup, raisins.

I have long known that I am sensitive to SULFITES.  One person posted that
he avoids corn as well as sulfite-containing products.  It just turns out
that many corn derived producte ALSO CONTAIN SULFITES. For example, corn
starch contains sulfites, as well as dextrose, maltodextrin, etc.  Here is
a very interesting link on sulfites in the food supply.

http://members.aol.com/nosulfites/knowing.htm

***********************

A few folks also mentioned some OTHER POSSIBILITIES  for what could be
causing the bloating and the runs:

It could also be a bacterial overgrowth ... if you get the wrong
bacteria in your gut they can feed off the corn and you get bloating.
Taking Pepto Bismol 3x a day for a week, then taking probiotics
(kefir is the best) might settle things out ... I've known some folks
who did that and things were fine again.

Another person said that taking clay as a dietary supplement could help get
rid of the critters in the GI tract.

ALSO, one person said it could just be that the carbohydrate content in the
food could be feeding a       CANDIDA overgrowth in the GI tract.  That
makes sense to me, too, since I have had problems with candida in the past
and have gotten better with a no-carb diet coupled with diflucan.

I hope this summary helps those of you who also avoid corn. Most of all, it
has helped me to know that I am not alone and that I am NOT a nutcase for
avoiding so many foods.

in light,

Megan