From:
Eric And Carrie Bielecki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:47:29 -0600

I received 20 responses to my question about whether or not Vioxx and
Celebrex are GF.  Almost everyone who responded said that both Vioxx and
Celebrex are GF.  Many of them said they had checked with the
manufacturer.  Some people have had stomach problems while using these
drugs because it can be a side effect of anti-inflammatory drugs or
NSAIDS.  Some people have used these without any problems.

Here is what one response I received said:

"Hi, I called the 800# for the drug company about Vioxx.  They kept
wanting to put me thru to a recorded message and after 5 attempts I
finally got a body that read me a quoted summary about Vioxx being
gluten free BUT it also came with a disclaimer about oats and barley
that do not break down into gliadin which is what celiacs have a problem
with.  To me this means that it is not 100% absolutely GF so I will not
take it.  The kid who read the disclaimer could not answer any of my
questions about where they came up with barley and oats not breaking
down into gliadin, and did this then mean that they contain oats and/or
barley.  Since he could not get an answer for me I take that they do."

Other responses said they contacted the company and found it to be GF.
Many people said they have taken Vioxx without problems.

One person who responded was a family physician with CD who contacted
the medical director at the Merck company which makes Vioxx and learned
that Vioxx is GF.

If anyone wishes to contact the Searle company which makes Celebrex,
here is some info:

GD Searle and Company
4901 Searle Okwy
Skokie, IL  60077
1-800-323-1603

Also, here are some websites that may help you determine the GF status
of some medicines:

http://chemist.co.nz./pm/celebrex.cfm

http://www.celebrexclinic.com/medical.html

http://www.inhousedrugstore.com