From:
Len Menzies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 21:08:48 -0800

re: Crohn's -my opinion

>From reading up on Crohn's and my husbands experience:

Diet can help at least 33% of Crohn's patients as well or better than
medication.
Wheat, milk, and caffiene products are the 3 most common intolerances.  The
problem with Crohn's is no two people are the same and therefore the diet
for no two people is the same.  The key to the diet is to figure out what
bugs you and eliminate those foods.

Experience : My husband is on a strict gluten free, yeast free, MSG free
diet.  He also tries to refrain from the following when he feels his
intestine is starting to get unhealthy: refined sugar, peanut products, corn
products, milk products, caffiene.  He has now been off all medication for 1
year and feeling much better than ever before: more energy, less brain fog,
better temperment, NO STOMACH CRAMPS.  Before the diet he was on prednisone
and asacol regularly (10 years).  I would also like to mention that 6 years
ago he went on a wheat free diet and this in itself cut down the times he
had to go on prednisone by about half (5-6 months between medications
instead of 3 months).
He feels so good that he would not think of cheating on his diet.

Gottscall (sorry if the spelling is wrong):

There is a review of Gottschall's book in the following article, and there
are references on Crohn's and diet at the end of the article.  The article
says that the diet may help some IBD patients but does not heal Celiac.  The
article reviewers would like to see the diet in a study of patients.

The Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology  March/April 1996 Vol 10 No 2
The 'Specific carbohydrate diet': Nutritional quackery or of possible
benefit for some IBD patients?

If anyone is e-mailing me personally, I will not be on the computer again
until at least next Wednesday and should put ATTN Heather in the subject.

Finally,  Thanks very much to the listowners for providing a wonderful
resource for not only celiacs but also gluten intolerant Crohn's !!!

                                                  Heather Campbell
                                                  Swift Current,
                                                  Saskatchewan, Canada