From:
Eileen J <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 18:30:45 -0800

Hi again everyone,
Herewith is the summary of the 11 responses I received: (thanks!)

Re: My SO being referred to an allergist. Two responses said allergists
were useless, one said her allergist "didn't do" celiac disease. One
responder said her allergist discovered her celiac disease 26 years ago.

Re: Whether we (I) should INSIST on a gastroenterologist, three responses
said I should. LCH suggests she *would not only have insisted on the
referral to a GI but would have insisted that the GI do a biopsy on me...
the very worse that happens, the thing comes back negative and then can
persue the possibility of an allergy."

Re: Is it celiac an allergy? This is complicated stuff and getting more so
every day. IgE and IgA are antibodies that an allergist can pick up? Can
someone offer me some laywoman's terms on this?

Re: Starting the GF diet before the biopsy. Two respondents cautioned me on
getting too good at eliminating gluten before we can get a GOLDEN
diagnostic.

MJ or BE sent me 51 pages of information to give my SO's family
practitioner. Thanks, now how do I get him (and SO) to read it? Send it to
his doctor anonymously?

One poster suggested we didn't need a referral to a GI. This is Canada,
land of socialized medicine (I'm not complaining...). I'm pretty sure we
need a referral but will double check that on Monday.

One person told me GF cooking gets easier with time. Oh good...

Lastly, from all the great info I have recently gleaned, I understand there
is up to a 20 per cent chance of SO's brother and two sisters having celiac
disease, too. The entire family has poor digestion. Here's my question...
Do I mention it at Xmas dinner?

Eileen