From:
United Machine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 13:20:52 -0500

My wife Diane recently had annual physicals by both her Gp and GI docs.
She asked about the possibilty of having a bone density test. Her GP
din't think it was necessary, but agreed to read info we supplied.

We gave him a variety of materials inluding presentations given at the Sept.
celiac conference held at MT Sinai medical center, articles from GF
-Living and others.As of yet ,he has not  gotten back to D.

Two weeks passed before the appt. with her GI. Before Diane could ask
any questions, the doctor said that "they" were  unnecessarily pushing
the need for bone density testing. He wouldn't elaborate as to who
"they" were, nor would he say if he had been contacted by D's GP.  She
was left with the impression that "they" were the testing industry and
that the test was a "money making gimmick."

I don't want to bash the medical proffesion, but feel that these two
DR's are not looking out for my wifes best interest.

Diane has been diagnosed since . Sept. of 1995. Prior to that, she was
lactose free for over five years but believes she was indeed suffering
from celiac disease.

Diane asked her GYN about the bone density testing. This doctor said
that she could justify the test in two years(D will be 44) only because
she had a hysterectomy three years ago. This recommendation did not take
into account her suffering from a mal-absortion syndrome and a definite
lack of calcium.

It seems that the density test would be warranted given these
conditions.Just wondering if others have had similar difficulties
getting this test?

Her GI also made disturbing comment related to lymphoma. Given the
difficulites of diagnosing lymphoma of the gut, he beleives it is not
worth testing for it, or even worrying about it since it cannot be
cured. This seems like pretty glum news -any comments?

Thanks
Dan Davis